Screen Free Week Review

We made it through screen free week and everyone is still alive!  Hard to believe right?  (I kid…but seriously this wasn’t easy.)  But it was a great way for me to spend extra quality time with my kids and enjoy them being this little.  It ended up being a much busier week than I had anticipated but we definitely fit in some fun activities.  Here’s a break down of how the week went:


As expected, the first thing Gav did when he woke up was ask to watch TV which is exactly why I decided to do this challenge!  The answer was, of course, no but we sat and read some of his chapter book.  And by some I mean just about 50 pages worth.  He was really into it and it was awesome!  Then we were off to the dentist.  No big deal right? As soon as we walk in, Zootopia is playing on the TV in the waiting room as well as all the screens above the chairs where they clean teeth.  *facepalm*  Gav’s eyes got pretty wide as he looked at me.  I told him that this was ok, not everyone is doing screen free week, just us, so it’s ok if it happens to be on somewhere that not our house.  He liked that rule!

We didn’t really do much in the way of creativity and I had to work a little that night. All in all, day one went pretty well.


The same can be said for day two as well since we were out of the house most of the day.  But one thing that was very difficult was entertaining Gav and Ro while I tried to workout.  My father is a personal trainer and trains me two days a week.  It’s been great having my mom home over the summer, she’s a school teacher, because she takes the boys down in the playroom they have for them and it’s nice and quiet and easy.  Plus, that’s usually the only time Gav has extended iPad time so he’s preoccupied.  This Tuesday, however, my mom had a doctor’s appointment and the iPad was not an option.  So I basically shot myself in the foot on that one!  But we got through it, my dad had prepared a simple, compact workout for that reason.

Then we went to visit my new niece!  Sweet Mason was born just before we went out of town so I didn’t get to see her.  Then both boys and I had some crud going on so we couldn’t go see her for even longer!  But finally we were able to go meet the sweet little peanut.

Luckily, we had a good amount of time between getting home and work so during rest time, which we also started this week to prep him for pre-K, I made his new “SAND” BOX.  He loves playing in it and, I’m not gonna lie, I do too!


FINALLY!  We had a day where we didn’t have anything going on.  We headed to the store to pick out plants for Gav’s garden.  After careful consideration, we brought home a couple of cacti, a succulent and some pretty flowers that happened to be on clearance.

We planned them in Gav’s very own pots and have been taking care of them.  We then spent the rest of the day painting, resting, and playing.


Thursday was a fun day because I decided we would have a mini half birthday celebration for Gav.  Normally, we would just say, “Hey!  It’s your half birthday! Yay!” and then get on with the day.  But since we were smack in the middle of screen free week, I thought this would be something fun to do.  Together we baked a cake and Gav even cracked two of the eggs! (no shells!)  We also made ziploc bag ice cream which was delicious, if I do say so myself.

The half cake was pretty darn good too and, no worries, I won’t be going into cake decorating as a new career any time soon!  Although, in my defense, it took too long to bake and I didn’t quite have time to let it cool.


Thankfully my mom didn’t have a doctors appointment on this day and she was able to entertain Gav down in the playroom while I worked out.  Then it was time to swim!  We haven’t really been able to swim all that much this summer since Gav has been pretty busy between day camps, tae kwon do, and soccer so we had a lot of fun!

And then, that was it.  Gav woke up on Saturday morning and asked if it was still screen free week.  When he found out that it wasn’t, he smiled really big and went straight for Netflix while he drank his morning milk.  I can’t say I blame him, I know how hard it was for him to not have TV at all.  And he didn’t even have it while the grandparents watched him which was awesome!  Over all, it was a great way to challenge both Gav and myself and I’m glad we did it!

Have you tried a screen free week/day?  How did you like it, or not?
XO, Kelly


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.