It’s New Year’s Eve! I really do feel like 2015 just started. It’s so weird how the older you get, the faster the years seem to go. I can remember being about 10 or 11 and feeling like growing up was so far away and would never get here. And I suppose, since I’m 5’1″, growing “up” never did come in a sense. Ha! But I’m looking forward to what this new year has to bring. I love that new feeling that January first brings. That start over point for anything you let fall the year before or just a time to begin something totally new. I even got a new planner (mainly because my old one was falling apart) for a fresh new start! Blank pages full of possibility.
Starting last year, I decided that I wouldn’t make resolutions anymore since they tend to have a negative connotation these days. No one seems to keep resolutions and no one really expects you to either. That’s not encouraging whatsoever! So I started making general goals. Not as a way to cop out of having to keep a resolution but as a way to set realistic expectations for myself.
Here are a few of my goals for the new year:
1. Read at least one book a month – With two kids, it’s hard enough to read just one book. When I lay down sometimes, I just want to veg out and watch TV. I want to broaden my horizons and spend less time with the tube.
2. Be more conscious of my eating – People who know me probably think this is ridiculous. I’m pretty health conscious as it is, I don’t eat a ton of bad food. But I don’t even enough vegetables and every now and then I’ve been prone to late night binging. I want to cook a little more and snack a little less.
3. Drink more water – Silly to have as a goal? Maybe. And I suppose it could be rolled into the last one but I want to make a conscious effort to hydrate more. I’m so bad about it! Even with a very physical job as a dance teacher, I don’t drink nearly enough water. So, with all that in mind, it gets it’s own number.
4. Plan ahead – This has more to do with this little blogging space of mine than other areas. I was getting really good about it for awhile and then I had RC and things kind of fell off the wagon. Understandable, I know. But now that we’ve gotten through the adjustment phase and he’s sleeping through the night (I’m afraid to type that…knock on wood!) I can get myself back in a new routine.
5. Purge the house – I’m decluttering every space in this house if it kills me!
6. Pray more – We recently had a sermon at church about being intentional. Intentionally finding ways to make others’ lives better, to add value. I want to intentionally pray more, to make it more of an on going conversation with God rather than just once or twice a day or when something big, good or bad, happens in my day.
7. Learn to sew one or two new things – I got a FABULOUS sewing/quilting/embroidering machine for Christmas. I plan to use is as much as possible!
I’m sure I’ll come up with a few more before midnight, but these are the ones that have been on my mind and I really want to change/do in the new year.
How about you? What are some of your goals for 2016?